Wednesday, April 28, 2010

we see red

Some of the tomatoes we grew this year were seriously as sweet as strawberries, but we never have enough. So, every Autumn we go and pick ground tomatoes from 'Pataka' down Marshlands Rd.

The kids get very excited about who is first to fill their bucket and I have to keep a careful eye on what goes in so we don't come home with any that are bruised or unripe.

Then begins the mad tomato frenzy which temporarily takes over the kitchen, where by I have to chop, roast and simmer every last one of them. The stock pot, every other decent sized pot and all the roasting dishes I can find are filled fast.

This year I froze quite a few whole in bags to use in pies and the like.
The rest we roasted and made into a pasta sauce with garlic and fresh herbs. 
Heaps were eaten like this when they cooled down having just come out of the oven. Delish on pizzas or just straight on toast.
I also made a tomato sauce that I thought would be a classic for fish and chips etc but it ended up turning out quite relishy, so I am using it that way with cheese on crackers. I think it's the allspice and the cloves that lend it in this direction. Luckily for me the kids are not complaining about it being too spicy. I'd be loathed to buy it from the supermarket if they did!

3 comments:

Jessicah said...

Yum Gretchen! I made a big batch of relish, but never got around to going back for tomatoes for sauce. You've motivated me to think it might not be too late, thankyou!

gretchen said...

Hey Jess,

There's none left down here but only as of last week. I reckon you might have some luck where you are if you get in quick. Parts of christchurch had their first frost on mothers day morning.

simone said...

nom nom nom... need to glean your secrets for finding produce in chch... garden being somewhat limited in the next few years.