Wednesday, April 21, 2010

winter woolies

The autumn weather has been so wonderful lately that I'm slightly worried winter is going to sneak around the corner any minute now and bite us really hard on the bum. Just in case, I've been preparing the change over of all the kiddies wardrobes. Gloves, hats, scarves, check...
gummies, raincoats, wet weather pants... check. All in their various sizes and moving down the line to this years youngest with the oldest usually getting something new. In the meantime, while all this generous sunshine rolls on, I've had the chance to hand wash the knitted jerseys and have them completely dry at the end of the day. They get brought back inside smelling sun kissed, fresh and ready to go, for when winter finally does shock us into submission.

The wee girls smockie (free pattern here) was very easy to knit up (using wool left over from my grandma's stash). I started it when I was pregnant and altho I made it with this autumn in mind, It got shelved for sometime until I recently rediscovered it. The wee lass is growing like a flipping mushroom lately and also I have "subluxed" my flexor corpi ulnarus ligament on my left hand (but nothing will stop me I tell you, I am like a foot painter if need be). So I have been knitting it one handed style and thus it has been slow to complete. Consequently it's fitting slightly smaller than anticipated (not that I need any excuses to get cracking on whipping up another)... oh I do love to sit bone idle and knit an evening away.

4 comments:

Jessicah said...

oooh she is just so squeezabubble! Love the handknits. Wish I had some of your motivation to get through the HUGE pile of washing that threatens to take over our house!

gretchen said...

yes she is so mush-able squeezabubbly flippen delicious!I insanely so, all those naughty curls and dimples to boot. as for the washing, i only fold mine once a week and even then i wait until it has grown legs and walks itself into the lounge to be folded while i watch the telly. and i rope the mister into doing it with me! true motivation only comes with desire.

simone said...

Love doing the washing.... yes I'm weird. But i am still astounded by how much washing Kylie makes! Clean smelling washing, an audio book, movie or fun music while i take a moment to sit down on the floor - legs crossed to make little (mine) large (kylies) folded piles of clothes. To later shove into my draws and nicely leave on the bed for Kylie to put away tidily (whose draws are annoyingly neat). If i have time to iron and something interesting to do i am also completely content! Some weird housewife thing going on here....

gretchen said...

yay for wierd housewives I say!