Monday, May 31, 2010

murals on buildings

I love it when I stumble across an otherwise drab building that has been beautified for our benefit. I guess the council funds this kind of street art to make us less likely to grumble about the rates we pay. It's kinda working on me right now...

I found this mural in Kaiapoi while I was out walking with my Grandma.
It's along the river wharf, just past the old railway station heading back into town.
There are real tussocks in the foreground and because the painted scenery blends with the immediate plantings, it's the building itself that looks out of context.
It shows us the native wetlands and wildlife of the area before it became gentrified.
So aside from the artistry these murals also serve to tell a story.
These charming depictions are from along side the butchers shop in Oxford.
Wondering what these dudes are gassing about? Same old I guess...

or perhaps the price of meat.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love murals like these. I wish we had more like them where I live ... but artwork on buildings is regulated the same as commercial signs, so they're few and far between here.

gretchen said...

Hi jess, thats a bit tough. I remember everything being all red brick and same same in Sedona. I think I might do another post along the same lines, as I can think of others that are cheerful against the humdrum

Simone said...

Do you think Kaikoura might have a rather good mural artsist in residence? I seem to remember quite a few rather good ones there. But i'm with you, i love them... xx